Tuesday 24 December 2013

Flim & TV




FILM & TV WORK SHOP


Her: Hi
Him: Coffee
Her: Hmm
Him: What is it?
Her: Nothing. It’s the way you…
Him: The way I what?
Her: Have you got work or something?
Him: I was going to stay her.
Her: Hmm.
Him: The way I what?

We did a film and TV work shop where we had to get into pairs and present the dialogue that was given to us. Being in front of a camera is and delivering lines is different compared to theatre. how you say your lines would be different to how you will deliver your lines in theatre. I learnt that having a clear thought process is important for film and TV. the camera catches every movement and facial expression you do. so therefore the thought process would help you to understand what the person is feeling and thinking. being in front of the camera takes a lot of patience you need to know what you are doing at all time because the camera picks up everything you do. With film and TV your gesture and voice does not have to be big your face expression and eyes tell the audience what your thinking, how you feel, and what's going to happen next. the beauty about film and TV all you have to do is listen and respond however with theatre everything has to big exaggerated.









Medium Shot

In film, a medium shot is a camera angle shot from a medium distance.  A shot of the person from the knees up or the waist up is a close-up shot. These part views are called medium shots. A medium shot is framed from the waist up. It is mainly used for a scene when it is wanted to see the facial expressions in the context of their body language.

 

Close Up Shot

A close-up or close up in filmmaking, television production, Close-ups are one of the standard shots used regularly with medium shots and long shots filmmaking techniques .Close-ups display the most detail, but they do not include the broader scene. Moving in to a close-up or away from a close-up is a common type of zooming.

 

A Two Shot

A Two shot is a type of shot working in the film industry in which the frame includes a view of two people. The subjects do not have to be next to each other, and there are many common two-shots which have one subject in the foreground and the other subject in the background. It is very useful if the film is about two people. The shots are also used to show the emotional reactions between the subjects.


Film Making


Film director is a person who directs the making of a film. Generally, a film director controls a film's artistic and affected features, and imagines the script while guiding the technical crew and actors in the fulfilment of that vision

Grips are trained lighting. Their main responsibility is to work closely with the Electrical Department to put in the non-electrical gears of lighting set-ups required for a shot, such as flags, overheads, and bounces. On the sound stage, they move and adjust major set pieces when something needs to be moved to get a camera into position

Make-up Artists work with makeup, hair and special effects to create the characters look for anyone appearing on screen. Their role is to use an Actor's on-screen appearance whether it makes them look more youthful, larger, older, or in some cases monstrous. There are also Body Makeup Artists who concentrate their abilities on the body rather than the head. Hairdresser.


A film crew is a group of people hired by a production company for the purpose of producing a film The Crew is great from the cast as the cast are understood to be the actors who appear in front of the camera or provide voices for characters in the film. The crew is also separate from the producers as the producers are the ones who own a percentage of either the film company or the film's intelligent property rights.


The Production Sound Mixer is head of the sound department on set, they are responsible for recording all sound during filming. This involves the choice and deployment of microphones, operation of a sound recording device, and the mixing of audio signals in real time.

The Boom Operator is an assistant to the Production Sound Mixer, in charge for microphone placement and movement during filming. The Boom Operator uses a boom pole, a long pole made of light aluminium or carbon fiber that allows defined positioning of the microphone above or below the Actors, just out of the camera's frame. The Boom Operator may also place radio microphones and hidden set microphones.




Filming Shots 


Establishing Shot 
Camera focusing on Sean washing his face and staring into the mirror when he sees the reflection of his father in the mirror.
1st technique: shot was a over shoulder shot of Sean's and I confrontation 
2nd technique: shot we changed the over shoulder shot into a long shot when I walk away from Sean when I say "nay then I'll those to you that will speak" 
3rd technique: the camera then focuses on my reactions when I walk away from Sean, so I think we also did a close up shot for my facial expression.






TV Appreciation 

The Shining Review

My opinion of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining  this was not what i excepted the scary films I've watched always had a dark, sad, ending. The shining is about a family that go to a isolated hotel for winter, this hotel has spiritual presence that influences Jack Nicholson into violence. Jack’s son sees horrific things from the past and the future, and he can’t control his imaginations and thoughts which were true. it was a really great  film I could not keep my eye of what was going to happen next because there was so many thing happening at once which made me not trust what was going to happen next. the sound effects was really intense it was a build up to what was going to happen next but it kind of tricks you because you think something bad is going to happen when actually nothing really happens. Jack Nicholson's thought process was amazing his eyes told his were just epic to look at, he never had to say word his thought process were really clear that you would know what his thinking straight away. 

furthermore I honestly love how he portrayed his character as a really psychotic, cold heated man which i found very effective. His facial expressions and gesture made me think what is he going to do next. Stanley Kubrick chose the right actor to portray the character he wanted his performance definitely deserved a standing ovation he was really focused on what he had to do as his character, why he was there, what his characters wanted and as actor its important to know your role. 

Jack Nicholson’s thought process was epic. He did not have to say anything and you knew what he was thinking straight away. I loved the way he evolved to a really nice character to a really nasty character.  
Danny Lloyd,  in The Shinning was also very interesting to watch he kept using his finger to represent the spirit that he could communicate with I found really effective but not really great because i've seen it been done before in plenty scary movies I have  watched so it wasn't really great. the shots of the kid when he was running in the show I think he pulled off that scene very well the tension kept on building and building and you could see the little kids reactions while running in snow which did make me feel sorry and eager for him to escape and i think that's what Stanley Kubrick wanted the audience to feel. 

As for the woman i feel like she played her character very naïve and quite stupid but I think the director was really smart with how we wanted to portray the mother in the film. I think it was good idea that she was portrayed her character in that way because if the mother was opposite to what she played i guarantee the shining would not have been as epic as it. I do feel like her character made me feel safe because she always positive around her son even though she knew what was going to occur, she still acted very normal around her child which was a good idea anyway because parents would normally act as if everything is good towards there children.


CASTING

Our first casting we did was star wars we had to learn a dialogue  with Tyler. Behind us there was a green wall paper and there is a camera which does two things, it records and it projects any imagine onto the green background. Alex gave us a time slot and he gave us a script that we had to learn for our audition for star wars I found it very challenging because we  just got given a the script and a time where we have to come and perform it in front of the panel. Furthermore I was exciting because I have never been to a casting I did not know what to except which made me feel excited.  In my opinion the audition was pressure because you have no time to prepare because as soon as you enter the room they except you to be ready and I  think  was not ready I rushed my lines, I did not use most of the space and I was unsure of what I was saying. I learnt allot from this casting and I think I improved because the second casting we did was the UK apprentice and I was prepared I had my actors CV and head shot. I was also very confident and open to everything that was given to me and I think that is the reason why I enjoyed the casting.


 

BBC trip

 
I learnt a lot on the tour at the BBC. I mainly learnt a lot about radio acting. Radio acting is a challenge because you have to read the script as if you are not just reading of a paper. With radio acting it is more to do with voice your voice has to tell a story a wide range expression and a colour must be expert protracted by the voice. Penny, Cameron, and Esther had a go at doing the radio acting it was interesting to see how creative you can be with your voice and also props.
They gave us a view over the state of the art newsroom and we found out that they track people on Facebook and twitter. We also had a chance to try out reading the news and weather on the interactive news set. Simone and Mahin were presenting the weather. They had to read from the screen with a lot of enthusiasm and energy. I thought it was quite challenging because being a news reader you need to be focused and get straight to the point with what you are delivering. You also have to be very RP because majority of news readers have a very clear voice which is easy to understand.
Furthermore we also had a tour around the radio theatre and we found out that some actors and musicians come and perform we also got told that you can sign up to get ticket to watch some free gigs. I was stunned because not an opportunity like that comes around often.
We got toured around the artist lobby that was my least favourite. I found the portraits very eye catching and we also found out the reason behind some of the pictures. They spoke about the rich history of the building and the BBC. Overall I found the trip very entertaining and informative. I got a chance to see an eye view via there big screen into some of the studios broadcasting to the nation, including television and radio, news studios.


MASTER CLASS OF EDITIING

On Tuesday, we were given a master class on how to edit clips for.  Jack gave information on how we can   upload our clips to a document, Jack chose the selected the clips that he wanted to edit. These clips told the story of this Native American guy who was begging on the streets and wanted money for his living expenses. The clip made the change from the guy begging on the streets and feeling s isolated to the Native guy in front of this high classed woman who knew how to speak Italian which he was able to engaged with. I found this workshop very interesting because I learnt so much about editing and putting images together which I found I found very interesting because at the end of the session we got  to show everyone how we put together the shots.
What I learnt about editing is that you should try get a variety shots in such as close up, wide, medium and long. It is very good for short films and it makes it more exciting. Also I found out that half of the emotion comes from the editing, if you get it right it will look good but if you get it wrong it will look out of place. It is also good to add in close ups because it sets up a scene or a mood. It is also good for showing the viewer what to look at. For example in the close up shot of the American native guy and the women which created a very interesting moment to look at.

 
 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment